Starting with drawing, thanks to painting-course.com.

Sunday, October 6, 2019

Old Barn Window



I had this old window stored in the garage for about 20 years before I figured out what to do with it. Problem was that it was covered in lead paint.

I tried stripping it. It was very messy, but got most of the paint off. Decided to just cover up what was still there and seal it in. Not like I will be eating off it or anything.

I reglazed the panes, got it all nice and painted, and set to work on removing the bottoms of my collection of glass bottles. Pretty easy work once you get the hang of using the glass scoring tool. Alternate boiling water and ice water and they pop right off where you scored it. I also saved some glass fragments from green and blue bottles and purchased some decorative glass pebbles from the craft store.

I laid out the bottle bottoms and glass shards on some pieces of paper that were cut to the same size as the window panes.

Once I had a good test layout completed, I began to transfer the glass pieces to the panes. I applied clear silicone window sealant to the glass in small sections with a caulk gun, stippled it with a toothbrush for a mottled effect, and then set glass pieces into it while it was still wet. This part took a very long time, and I wound up storing it for about a year before I felt like finishing it. But I finally finished it this past spring. Added some hooks and hung it up on my porch.

I love it! And it is nice to finally have a finished project.

No comments:

Post a Comment